Joan's Fulbright

This Blog is set up to stay in touch with family and friends during my year in Slovakia. I will write regularly and hope you will too.

Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Principal Is Your Pal

Remember that phrase to help remind you of the correct spelling, as opposed to PRINCIPLE which had no such clever statement? Yesterday morning before I went to my first class, my principal Hanka told me I did not have the scheduled lunch room duty but instead should come see her as she had to talk to me. It sounded ominous. I knew that that afternoon we were having our conferences to discuss the critical behavior issues and one of my girls' names was on the list. Or maybe a parent called complaining about that crazy American teacher? Like when a police car just happens to drive behind you, it made me anxious.

I taught my classes, one of which was a double period of all three 8th grade classes, 8 of whom had managed to actually bring their training clothes. Jozko and I "handled" the girls and Stevo and Dano organized the boys, a slightly larger group. After putting away the equipment, I reviewed my one student's report I had previously written and returned to the office to face the music.

Well, "music to my ears" anyway, as everyone was gathered in the office to surprise me! Hanka said some words and presented me with a small, framed water color, signed by its local 72-year-old artist. It was of Michael's Gate, a city landmark I walk through almost everyday. I was given a beautiful bouquet of flowers and then everyone lined up to shake hands, say some well-rehearsed words in english, and peck me on either cheek. And then the champagne toast! I made a short speech, the end of which was determined by my being overcome and unable to continue. Hanka translated, and we all said Na Zadravie! It was so sincere and touching, and then everyone rushed off to class, leaving me overwhelmed. Everyone had signed my card and Hanka had written, "See you on Monday" explaining that saying goodby is too final, so this charming version leaves open the possibility of meeting again. I think it's my new favorite phrase!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home